While roaming blogland, I came across a great site that has a new book related meme every Thursday - Booking Through Thursday. I like what they have done, so I'll probably try and check them out every week. Here is the one from last Thursday:
1. Are you careful with the spines? Or do you crack your books open to make them lay flat?
It depends. Some of my books are 20+ years old and so I try to be more careful with those since it seems "cracking" them makes the binding glue come apart. I try not to crack my hardbacks as well, but with paperbacks, I like them to lay a little flater when I read them.
2. Do you use bookmarks? Or do you dog-ear the corners? If you do use bookmarks, do you use those fashionable metal ones? Or paper?
I use a bookmark. I bought of couple of cool metal ones but they were always falling out of my book (which totally defeated the purpose of the bookmark!). Now I have a cute Tinkerbell paper one.
3. Do you write in your books? Ever? If you do, do you make small marks, or write in as much blank space as you can find? Pen or pencil? Highlighter? Your name on the front page?
Almost never. If there's a passage I particularly want to mark, I'll put a "sticky" on the page.
4. Do you toss your books on the floor? Into bookbags? Or do you treat them tenderly, with respect?
I don't toss them on the floor, but I do carry them in my purse or computer bag sometimes. I do try to make sure they don't get bent up or too terribly abused.
5. Do you ever lay your book face-down, to save your place?
Unfortunately, yes. Usually when I'm just getting up "for a second".
6. Um--water? Do you bathe with your books? Hold them with wet hands? Read out in the rain? Anything of that sort?
7. Are your books lined up on a bookshelf? Or crammed in any which way? Stacked on the floor? Most of them are lined up on my bookshelf, but I do have some of them stacked up on the shelf instead. Mostly for visual interest.
8. Do you make a distinction--as regards book care--between hardcovers and paperbacks?
Other than my answer to number 1, not really.
9. And, to recap? Naturally, you love all of your books, but how, exactly? Are your books loved in the battered way of a well-loved teddy bear, or like a cherished photo album or item of clothing that's used, appreciated, but carefully cared for?
I think somewhere in between. More like an old comfortable sweatshirt or pair of shoes.
Please leave a link to your responses in the comments or leave them in the actual comment itself. Look forward to seeing everyone's answers!