Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Lady of Secrets by Susan Carroll



Almost seven years ago I re-discovered the joy of reading.  After not reading anything for fun or by choice for about 15 years, I needed to get a book to take on a family trip.  I remember going into the book store and being completely overwhelmed with all of the choices – in fact, I went twice and came out empty handed both times.  On the day before the trip, I decided to try again and was on my way out  – once again empty handed – when a display by the door caught my eye.  I will never be able to explain what it was about that cover that drew me to it but after reading the blurb on the back, I decided it might work.  That book was The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll.

Carroll's series about three sisters/"daughters of the earth" will always hold a special place in my heart.  Even though I thought the fifth book (Twilight of a Queen) was not quite on the same level as the others, I was sad that the series was at an end.  So, imagine my surprise and delight when I was browsing around on Amazon one day and saw that there would be another book!  I knew that if I didn’t buy another new book all year, I would buy this one (fortunately that wasn’t necessary due to my recently purchased kindle and e-galleys -  but that’s a story for another day…).

The Lady of Secrets picks up the life of Margaret (Meg) Wolfe, the new Lady of Faire Isle.  Meg lives a quiet life on her secluded island and at almost thirty years old, she likes it that way.  But her peace is disturbed by the arrival of two strangers, Sir Patrick Graham and Dr. Armagail Blackwood.  The men are on a mission – to convince Meg to return to England with them and rid King James of a curse put on him 15 years earlier by an old woman burned as a witch.  Eventually, Meg reluctantly agrees.

But Meg’s journey ends up being more than just convincing a superstitious king that he’s no longer cursed.  It turns out Graham’s motives in getting Meg to England are a little more complicated than he let on and Meg is horrified to learn that her past has finally caught up with her as she is forced to face demons she thought had long been buried.  No one is who or what they seem and their secrets may cost Meg everything.

Mixing history, the supernatural, romance, and a good bit of humor, The Lady of Secrets was a fun and quick read .  The romantic storyline is a little clich├ęd at times, but Carroll throws in some great plot twists near the end , not to mention numerous one liners that had me laughing out loud, that more than make up for it.

Although it’s not necessary to read the other books in the series to understand the story(the major plot points of the others are covered throughout), I do think reading them would give a better understanding of Meg’s past and why she does/says some of the things she does.


In case the FTC asks:  e-galley provided by the publisher

3 comments:

Marg said...

I need to get back to this series. I am a couple of books behind now.

Kimberlee said...

I also enjoyed reading this series and this newest addition. Great review!!

Kimberlee
http://girllostinabook.blogspot.com

Melissa @ Confessions of an Avid Reader said...

I am also a fan of this series, especially the first novel. Like Marg I need to get caught up and I'm looking forward to doing so.