Monday, May 20, 2013

Countdown to HNS Conference: Author Heather Domin



This week's featured conference speaker is Heather Domin, author of The Soldier of Raetia.


What got you first interested in historical fiction?
When I was a little girl I was really into Greek mythology, which led to an interest in the ancient world and, eventually, history in general. When I was nine my teacher gave me a copy of Farewell to Troy by Dorothy Johnson, and that was that – when my girlfriends were reading Lois Lowry and VC Andrews, I was reading Morgan Llywelyn and H.N. Turteltaub.

Do you follow a specific writing and/or research process?
I write by hand – black ink on college-ruled spiral notebooks – without stopping to change or correct anything. After I type everything up (previously in Word, but these days I’m using Scrivener), I print the draft out and do my revisions with a red pen, highlighters, and sticky-notes. Then I type those revisions into Scrivener. Lather, rinse, and repeat as many times as it takes to get the job done.

Is there an era/area that is your favorite to write about? How about to read?
I’ve always been drawn to the two millennia spanning Iron Age and Early Medieval Europe – roughly 1000BC to 1000AD. So many wonderful civilizations in there! I also really enjoy medieval British history, up to the Tudor era.  As a history buff there are other periods I enjoy learning about, but most of my historical reading and writing hangs out in these centuries.

Can you tell us about your latest publication?
I’m finishing up the sequel to my 2009 novel The Soldier of Raetia, currently titled The Heirs of Fortune.  It continues the story of a Roman general, Cassius Valerian, and the young soldier he takes as his apprentice (and eventually, his lover), Manilus Dardanus. This book follows Valerian’s legion on campaign with Drusus Germanicus, and the turbulence his ambitions bring into Dardanus and Valerian’s lives. I’m working on revisions and hope to be ready for publication later this year.


For more information about the conference, please visit:  http://historicalnovelsociety.org/events/5th-north-american-conference/

No comments: