Friday, December 20, 2013

To Blog or Not to Blog...


I’ve had this post half-written for two or three months as I’ve tried to decide what to do and where to go with this blog.  It’s been several months since I’ve posted anything (here or much of anywhere for that matter), even though I’ve been reading (although not as much as I used to).  There are three reasons for this:

1.        I started a new job in July that is a lot more demanding than my old one.

2.        The new job allowed me to move back home with my family (no more living apart from hubby, daughter and Tanzy) who are also a lot more demanding than living by myself which I have done for three of the past five years.

Both of these mean I have less free time and therefore, less time to spend blogging and online in general.  But wait, didn’t I say there were three reasons?  Well yes,  yes I did.  And the third reason is probably the biggest reason of all:

3.        I haven’t felt like it much.

I started blogging seven years ago and have gotten so much more out of it then I ever thought possible .  One of my favorite parts has been “meeting” new people who love some of the same things that I do and being able to talk about them and share information and ideas.  It also gave me something to “do” and focus on during the time I was away from my family and my online “book friend community” became a great way of not feeling alone in new cities where I didn’t know anyone.

Recently I’ve read a few posts by fellow bloggers talking about blogging and review burnout so maybe it’s just the natural progression/cycle of things.  Or maybe it’s because there are so many more outlets for online interaction these days and blogging may not be the most effective method. 

I’ve considered shutting The Castle down; I’ve thought about not posting anymore but leaving up what’s there; then there’s resuming my “normal” posting.  But after a lot of thought, I decided none of those would be an outcome I really wanted.  So, now that I’ve had a little break, I’ve decided to just shift my approach a little.

This will still be a place about books.  Books I’ve read.  Books I wanted to read.  Books I’ve bought (especially those older ones with the great covers I love so much).  Books that sound interesting.   Stuff that’s kind-of-sort-of history related but not necessarily about books.  Maybe some travel.

I’ve decided not to set a schedule for myself.  Hopefully that will take it back more to being something I want to do rather than feeling it’s something I have to do – I already have one job and sadly, reading, reviewing and blogging isn’t going to pay my bills.  For my readers who are still around to read this – thank you for not abandoning me and I'll hope you'll stick around!
So, back to books and stuff…

9 comments:

Kailana said...

Welcome back!

Joanne said...

Daphne -- I truly understand your position and I think we all have these feelings from time to time. Book blogging is not a paying job -- we do it because we enjoy the interaction and exploring the world of books which brings great joy. However, it IS difficult at times and life and family are a priority. I've decided to end my blog as well, as I feel it has served its purpose and put me in touch with like-minded readers who are now on collective book sites such as Goodreads. This is a much more concise and quick way for me to discuss books and still keep in touch with online friends.

I think your plan to do things in your own time and only when inspired to post will bring you and your readers a great experience. Good luck! Wishing you peace and joy.
Joanne and Books, Belles, and Beaux

Heather R said...

I'm glad to hear that you aren't completely leaving the blogging world. I have to agree with many of your points - I haven't felt much like it myself lately, but I have been SO busy with wedding planning stuff and work so it has kept me a little slower. I think the fact that you are not going to force yourself to a schedule will be helpful. My "schedule" is a very fluid thing, and it takes a lot of the pressure off. Happy for you that you are now able to be home with your family tho!!!

Leah Weller (leahluvsmedieval) said...

Do what makes you happy is what I say :)

I don't post often but do read each time you blog. Enjoy your time with your family. It sure sounds like it's been a long time coming.

Meghan said...

Although my life hasn't changed that much, I definitely hear you about not really wanting to blog that much. Writing posts is challenging. I hope you find a method to stick around that works for you!

Terry said...

So glad you are not abandoning your blog. I do so enjoy your take on books. Look forward to reading your entries again!

Marie Burton said...

Yep, I think a lot of us feel the same! It's hard work to blog.. I wish they would make it easier to do so formatting wise from tablets, etc & maybe I would post more. Otherwise, it is just easier to simply read what we want without feeling like a noose around our neck is holding us back. My 5 year blogicersary is in 6 days & I know it would be amazing if I lasted another 5 years! I also got another job this summer, (after five years!) & the kids are at an age where there are now activities for both of them that is a time suck as well. But they are a priority.
And when a zillion other bloggers are out there who could take MY place (not yours!) I just don't feel the need. I will always look forward to your posts, & I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Daphne said...

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your support.

Joanne - I'm sory you are closing down your blog, but it's totally understandable :). I'm on Goodreads but I don't post stuff there - I'm mostly a lurker.

Heather - wedding planning, huh? How exciting! Guess I must have missed the announcement somewhere...

Marie - I remember seeing you had a new job - sounds like you were in the same position I was in (bored out of your mind at your job). That's no fun and after awhile you start running out of ways to keep yourself busy :). Thanks so much for your kind words - you're very sweet. I think we all have something unique and worthwhile to contribute and I've always enjoyed your posts. I hope you had a Merry Christmas as well!

bren said...

Glad to see you haven't left the blogging world completely as I utterly depend on your upcoming books lists to fuel my book buying addiction. Where would we be without you?

I'm on GR too but I don't enjoy it as much-too much drama. I have noticed a lot less discussion on places like HF online-again relating back to your blog about the natural course of things. It's a shame though as I really enjoyed people's thoughts and insights into books/authors.

Hope you had a great holiday!

P.S Love the bookcases!